Carriers thinking about having Children

They should tell their partner that they carry haemoglobin S, and ask him or her to have a blood test "for haemoglobin disorders". This test should be done before they start a pregnancy, or as soon as possible once a pregnancy has started. This can be arranged by your GP. If their partner is not a carrier, there is nothing to worry about.